Wednesday, December 8, 2010

While I'm away, the cats & chickens will play ...

Sometimes I wonder if maybe it isn't better to leave the house every day, so I don't know about the things that go on around our two-acre yard.
During the past week, my dearest feline "Lulu" has brought me no less than four SHREWS. Yes, thankfully, they were dead when she left them on my front doorstep. And yes, I admonished her for leaving them right where I step out the front door, but not until after I rubbed her ears and said, "Good kitty!"
I've never seen cats who love the snow like Honey, Lulu and Lucy. In fact for 10 minutes, Lulu sat in five inches of the stuff, watching a hole she'd dug – shrew-hunting, I presume.
Today, I made a quick trip to town for groceries and cat food. When I returned home, there was a chicken roosting in one of our wild plum trees, 10 ft. above ground. What the???
No amount of coaxing would convince mischievous "Clucker" to fly out of the tree. Obviously she flew up there, and she could fly out, although the "thicket" as we refer to it, is quite brambly.
As I kept an eye on Clucker, I set a bag of cat food on the front porch steps and returned to my car for the last of the groceries. When I returned, I discovered my cat, Honey, had nearly accomplished the feat of opening a 10-lb. bag of cat food. It obviously smelled tasty judging by the way he was drawn to it.

I fed the cats, and eventually, Jeff used a snow shovel to coax Clucker to fly out of the plum tree. All was right with the world for yet another day as our chickens found their way back into the coop for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment