Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Italian Gastronomia meets American hunger

The significance behind the new photo which did head my blog but is now posted here, relates to food that my dear hubby and I would love to indulge in – but cannot, because we are clinging to a nasty four-letter word: D-I-E-T! The 17 day diet to be exact.

To begin with, it seemed like a good idea. We both need to lose weight, and the 17-day diet plan allows one to still have food -- just far more protein than carbohydrates ... and LOTS of vegetables, which fortunately I enjoy consuming.

Unfortunately, the writer of the 17-day diet book wasn't set up for the deluge of interest he received in people wishing to purchase his book. 10 days after placing my order, I learned my order had never been processed even though I paid an extra $9 for shipping. So five days before Christmas, the book finally arrived. WHO wants to begin a new diet the week of the greatest overeating of all time? GRRR.

But start the diet we did ... feasting on very large salads of romaine lettuce for lunch and fish or chicken for dinner along with such delectable vegetables as brussel sprouts and green beans!!

Like the diet suggested, I did lose 7 lbs. in three days -- but then Christmas Eve arrived along with chili soup (crackers have lots of carbs) dips served on crackers, and the holiday breads seemed to have my name on them.

Overall, neither of us has gained any weight during the holidays, but the wine consumed at a gathering of friends we hosted in our home, pretty much nullified the earlier weight loss. New Year's Day, we'll start anew.

And as for the photo, it was taken by me a few years back, in the city of Amalfi, Italy. Didn't think we could smuggle one of those ham hocks home on the plane however . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment