Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wine tasting & roasting my first bird

Last weekend, the hubby and I decided since we did mark 20 years of marriage, maybe we could celebrate with a little more fanfare than just pancakes. Saturday night, we drove to New Hampton, IA. where we joined a group of sorority sisters in a fundraiser for scholarships.

For $25 we were able to sample eight wines and eight brews, plus cleanse our palates with absolutely stellar hors d'oeuvres. And I do mean stellar. From the flaky pastry filled with brie, to the bruschetta and sushi and a plethora of breads on which we could drizzle spice-infused oils – it was a night to toast health and happiness.

The only people we knew were our friends, the Tuppers, but we met an interesting gal who raises mink. Would love to know more about that vocation.

(Lulu is modeling the scarf that I recently finished knitting – another item off the 'to do' list!)

Having finished a couple of things off the 'to do' list last week, I decided it was time to try something new.

Roasting a chicken.

No, not a live chicken, nor did I have to raid the henhouse for a bird. We happened to have a shrink-wrapped hunk of poultry in the freezer that I figured would do nicely.

While preparing the bird for the oven I couldn't help but remember that our typical Sunday dinners as a child growing up near Hawkeye, consisted of roasted chicken served with noodles au gratin – the topping being a layer of Saltine cracker crumbs soaked in butter. Mmmmmmm. 

Just this minute, I removed the chicken for a quick baste of cooked juices, and hope that I have prepared it well enough that it will be savory and not dry. Admittedly, it's a little distracting that as I pen this blog, there's an image of two of my pet chickens on the screen saver behind me. Hopefully Daphne and Delilah don't mind. 

1 comment: