Thursday, February 10, 2011

Not your traditional football game

Most of the time at our house, my hubby holds the remote. I don't usually mind, because there's not a whole lot I'd rather be watching on television.
But the other night while I thought he was viewing, "Grumpy Old Men," I looked up from my laptop computer to see scantily clad women in shoulder pads playing football.
Lingerie Football, that is.
Perhaps I've been living under a rock, but I didn't know it existed. MTV broadcasts the Lingerie Football League featuring women in a 7 on 7 tackle sport.


While I'm all for women engaging in a physically challenging game such as football if that's what they choose – I don't understand why it's necessary to sport "boy shorts" and bikini-like brassieres that require readjusting after each play. Could it be implied that the organizers of this league believed the only way there would be spectators is if there's a well-shaped, athletic physique for men to leer at?
The women on these teams are very athletic – and play without any of the padding and protection their male counterparts have in the NFL. Oh yeah, in one photo on this page you'll see shoulder pads -- protecting what? 
And perhaps saddest of all? The women on these teams must have careers outside of lingerie football because it doesn't pay too well (according to the announcers.) I'd be more impressed if the women earned a living wage and weren't required to dress like Victoria's Secret models while men hoot and holler from the stands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment