Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Proud owner of a Kindle!

Lucky me, I was given a Kindle for Christmas, but sadly, I haven't yet been able to read an entire book on the reading device!!

The problem begins with having started the Steig Larsson trilogy at the urging of my oldest stepdaughter. While she was correct that I would enjoy the books, because I finished reading book one about a week before Christmas, I started reading the VERY LENGTHY "Cutting for Stone."

My Doctor Stepdaughter had just read books two and three and offered to bring the remaining trilogy back to Iowa while home for Christmas from North Carolina. That's why I began reading, "Cutting for Stone," in the interim. What I didn't realize is that the 657-page paper back would be such a SLOW read. (Which isn't to say it's boring – I'm just getting caught up in all the medical terms.) I might have put the book aside except that Dr. Stepdaughter said the author, Abraham Verghese, spoke to her and her peers at Duke .... Today, I have read through page 370 ...


So in the interim, I'm keeping a list of books I'm ready to order on my new Kindle. I'd love to hear any comments from readers of the blog, regarding your ideas for great reads, or let me know via the comment section if you've read any of the books on my wish list. They include: "Skippy Dies," because the setting is Dublin; and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," by Rebecca Skloot, because it sounds like a fascinating report about the impact of one woman's cancer when some of her cells were preserved after her death, without her family's knowledge. A third on the list is, "A Scattered Life," because it's about family dynamics which is a theme I enjoy. I also received the hard cover versions of "The Red Thread," and Nicholas Sparks' latest work, and don't forget I also have "The Girl Who Played with Fire," and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," to read ....

Still, I have found the time to discover that a Kindle is more than a reading device. I can do 'Jumbles,' crossword puzzles and play Scrabble and Solitaire ... and I can have manuscripts or other documents emailed to my Kindle. And while most people probably don't get excited about the screensavers - I think they are the coolest thing!! Each time I put my Kindle to sleep, a beautiful black and white illustration of a famous author appears on the screen until I awaken the device for use.

3 comments:

  1. Make sure you finish reading the Stieg Larsson books. We're both reading them now! I also recommend Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and House Rules by Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin,
    I have already read House Rules - GREAT BOOK! Also loved your blog comments about your trip to Costa Rica. We were about 15 kilometers from where you stayed, in Tamarindo. Have tried several times, but have been unable to comment on your blog, so will let you know how much I love your site, in this method! - Janell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janell,
    Finding enough time to read on that Kindle? I have Cutting for Stone in the queue on my nook, but haven't started it yet. A couple I can highly recommend if you haven't read them are Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and Driftless by David Rhodes. I see that Water for Elephants is available for the Kindle for 5 bucks. Do you follow the Books on the Knob blog? She has periodic lists of free and low priced books for ereaders of various types.

    Marty Kraus

    ReplyDelete