Monday, March 14, 2011

Did I really want to know?

I know it's a disappointment to my relatives, but when they ask, I have to say honestly, I don't remember a lot about my childhood.
"What do you remember about living near Eldorado?" they ask. Nothing except maybe playing outside the house. I was only three and a half years old when we moved from there to Hawkeye.
But one of my cousins who with her older sister, often babysat us and entertained us when we visited their parents' home as children, kept all the letters I wrote to her when she was away at college and even when she attended Girls' State as a junior in high school.
Yes, it will date me, but the stamps on the first letters I wrote to her, cost just 8¢. Wow.
Oh, are those letters filled with exciting tidbits!
Perhaps more than anything, the letters revealed a lot about my childhood that I had forgotten. Like finding 31 chicken eggs in a hog feeder. And I thought only my silly hens we keep now, did such crazy things as to lay anywhere but in their coop. It appears it's something that's been going on for decades!
It makes me grimace to read that I thought it newsworthy to tell my older cousin that the family dog would celebrate his birthday that month .... or that I was writing my cousin for the second time in two weeks, because my sister had nothing to say!
Ahh, youth!  Glad to have left it behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment